Jan 22, 2008

What makes up Emotional Intelligence?

According to Adele Lynn (A Different Kind of Smart) emotional intelligence is an amalgam of:

 

Self-Awareness and Control

Empathy

Social Expertise

Personal Influence

Mastery of Purpose and Vision

 

If I were to apply this yardstick to myself, then my emotional intelligence should be considered insignificant. Applied straightaway, I can say that I lack Self-awareness and control and deficient in Mastery of Purpose and Vision, whereas, I am good at Empathy and Social Expertise and somewhat good at exerting Personal Influence.

 

So what does this mean? Does this mean that I am more aware of 'others,' their feelings and emotions (motivations) than my own motivations?

 

Does this make me 'emotionally insignificant' and if so, is it bad?