Apr 12, 2008

Controlling Fear with Rituals

"Am I afraid of high notes? Of course, I am afraid. What sane man is not?"

---- Luciano Pavarotti

I fear a great many things. For example, I fear posting on this blog because I fear it will sound foolish or worse repetitive. I have told myself that this is irrational behaviour; for there is no evidence that, anyone reads it.

Jokes apart, I find myself confronting me at the start of quiet a few other projects. It has made me wonder whether the fear of failure or it’s opposite – the fear of success paralyses me.

Whatever it is, I have decided to take Dale Carnegies advice to heart, "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy."

However, I am going to incorporate his exhortation albeit with a small change, I am going to beat this fear by following a set of rituals. I am going to confront this fear by going through a process – a series of unthinking actions some of which maybe unrelated but will ultimately ease me into doing it.

Do you follow any such rituals or steps?